In a time when feminism is synonymous with “man-bashing” or “smashing the patriarchy,” it’s important to remember that feminism is about equality. By playing the role of the victim or the oppressed, we are stripping ourselves of our own power.
To celebrate the powerful, influential women throughout history who would not let society’s gender roles or restrictions define them, I am sharing my favorite feminism quotes for International Women’s Day.
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “If women want any rights more than they’s got, why don’t they just take them, and not be talking about it.” – Sojourner Truth
- “I am my own muse. I am the subject I know best. The subject I want to better.” – Frida Kahlo
- “Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail their failure must be but a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
- “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life – and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
- “As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.” – Virginia Woolf
- “We should all consider each other as human beings, and we should respect each other.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie
- “I will not be triumphed over.” – Cleopatra
- “Have a bias toward action – let’s see something happen now. You can break that big plan into small steps and take the first step right away.” – Indira Gandhi
- “We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.” – J.K Rowling
- “Let’s be very clear: Strong men – men who are truly role models – don’t need to put down women to make themselves feel powerful. People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together.” – Michelle Obama
- “Women are the victims of this patriarchal culture, but they are also its carriers. Let us keep in mind that every oppressive man was raised in the confines of his mother’s home.” – Shirin Ebadi
- “The solution to women’s issues can only be achieved in a free and democratic society in which human energy is liberated, the energy of both women and men together. Our civilization is called human civilization and is not attributed only to men or women.” – Tawakel Karman
- “In societies where men are truly confident of their own worth, women are not merely tolerated but valued.” – Aung Sang Suu Kyi
What are your favorite feminist quotes?